Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

(Some of) My Favorite Books

One afternoon seven years ago, I sat on my bed holding a book. A novel, to be exact. It was Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. I sighed, wishing that, like my mom and older brother, I could read it. I opened the book, expecting the words to be a semi-incomprehensible jumble, as usual. But they weren't. To my amazement, I discovered I could read.
I was seven years old, and there was no going back. From that day forward, I was never far from a book or two. Or three. Or over a hundred, living in our house.
Here are some of my favorite books (of which there are too many to list in one blog post), listed in no particular order:

The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale
Shannon Hale is undeniably one of my favorite authors. I've loved fairy tales for as long as I can remember, and I love it when I find a retelling that is as good or better than the original. Actually, my mom found this one. So thanks, Mom.
The Goose Girl is a retelling of the Grimm Brothers fairy tale called, well, The Goose Girl. It's about a princess, called Ani, who is sent away from her homeland of Kildenree because she has a strange gift. She can talk to birds and her horse, Falada. Her mother is afraid of her gift, and sends Ani to a neighboring country to be married off to the prince of that country. But on the journey there, Ani is betrayed. Stripped of her identity and everything she has, Ani has to prove that she is the true princess of Kildenree.
I devoured this book in a day. Trust me, it's awesome.

Pretty Much Anything by Rick Riordan
No, that isn't the title of a book. I mean literally pretty much anything by Rick Riordan. Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Kane Chronicles, Heroes of Olympus...I love them all. If you haven't read them, then what could you possibly be waiting for?

The Inkheart Series, by Cornelia Funke
I love Cornelia Funke. I love her writing style, her worlds, her characters. Inkheart just barely beats Reckless in my list of favorite books. It's about a girl named Meggie and her father, Mo, who discover the world of books in a completely different way. There are worlds inside books, worlds with dragons and magic and buried treasure. When Mo, called the 'Silvertongue', reads a book aloud, he can make characters come out of it. Unfortunately, someone must go into the book for each person who comes out. In the case of a book named Inkheart, it's Mo's wife, Meggie's mother.
I've read this book at least three times and enjoyed it more every time.

The Leviathan Series, by Scott Westerfeld
Yay, steampunk! That's what I thought the first time I saw these books, and it's what I thought while reading them. My brother recommended them to me, and I am forever grateful to him for it.
Leviathan takes place during an alternate World War I, when Alek, the prince of Austria, and Deryn, a British girl disguised as a boy working on an airship that happens to be giant flying whale, cross paths in a, as Deryn would say, most peculiar way. Though on opposite sides, Alek and Deryn have to work together to stop the war from destroying everything they know.
In this case, World War I + whale-airships + undercover royalty = possibly one of the best steampunk books ever.

That's all for now, folks! I hope you enjoyed it.




2 comments:

  1. Ooh yes, I loved Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing as well!
    And I agree, the Inkheart series is good as well, although I personally like number 1 best.

    (By the way I'm kiwi from Nano)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiwi, thanks for your comment! You're right, I thought Inkheart #1 was the best too. It seems like the first books are usually the best. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! Your thoughts mean a lot to me.